Chaos Continues: Venezuela Claims It “Crushed” A Military Rebellion
One day after Maduro’s new “constituent assembly” expelled chief prosecutor Luisa Ortega Diaz – the highest-ranking member of President Maduro’s administration to break ranks with the authoritarian – from her post and ordered her to stand trial, confirming fears that it would use its unchecked powers to root out government critics, Venezuelan authorities claimed to have suppressed a military rebellion near the central city of Valencia, an official said on Sunday morning.
As Reuters reports, socialist Party deputy Diosdado Cabello made the announcement shortly after the release of a video showing a group of men in military uniform announcing a rebellion and calling for a broad uprising against President Nicolas Maduro. Cabello also said that there was a “terrorist” attack at a military base controlled by troops loyal to the government and several people were arrested, according to AP. One witness in the area of a military base in the town of Naguanagua reported hearing gunshots before dawn, but Cabello said the situation had been brought under control.